Tuesday, January 13, 2009

recipe - not my Mom's Lasagna

recipe - My Mom's Lasagna

My Mom's Lasagna - I've tried easier recipes and cheaper recipes and more complicated recipes. This is still the best in my book!


24 oz Ricotta Cheese
32 oz Spaghetti Sauce, 4 C
3 ea Eggs
2 lb Hamburger, cooked
1/3 c Parmesean
6 oz Lasagna noodles, uncooked
6 oz Motzerella Cheese + 6 oz (Reserved for Top)
3/4 c Water
1 Pkg Frozen spinach, thawed & liquid squeezed out

When preparing lasagna for the freezer there's no need to precook the noodles. If you layer the cassserole with dry noodles ensuring your noodles are completely covered with sauce, the noodles will cook during the freezing and baking process absorbing the sauce.
Assembly Directions: In a large bowl mix cheese, eggs, & spinach if desired. In a seperate bowl mix hamburger & spaghetti sauce (sometimes I put cooked hamburger through the food processor for a finer consistency -- but I don't usually go to that work if it's just for us). In a 13 x 9 inch baking dish, spread 3/4 cup meat sauce. Layer 3 noodles across and top with meat sauce. Spread 1/2 of cheese mixture (~2c) and 1 1/2 cups of meat sauce. Layer 3 more noodles on top of meat sauce. Spread remaining cheese mixture(~2c). Top with remaining 3 uncooked noodes and remaining meat sauce, then reserved motz. cheese. Pour water around edges.
Freezing Directions: Wrap pans completely with foil; twice. label and freeze.
Serving Directions: To thaw, take meal from freezer at least 24 hours before serving. Place in refrigerator. Bake tightly covered at 350 for about 45 minutes, or until edges are bubbly and center is hot. Take cover off during final 10 munites of cooking time. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. To bake from frozen stage, add 30 minutes to total baking time.

I usually make 6 of these at a time and freeze in aluminum pans wrapped in foil. I served 30 people at a Christmas Party one year with these -- we had other food, too, but this was the main dish. I made 2 and we only ate 1 and every said how filling it was.

A sobering thought: what if, at this very moment, I am living up to my full potential? - Jane Wagner

No comments: