1 pound skinless chicken breast halves- cubed and cooked
1cup sliced carrots
1cup frozen peas
1/2 cup sliced celery
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp blackpepper
1/4 tsp celery seed
1 3/4 cup chicken broth
2/3 cup milk
2 9-inch pie crusts
(Add whatever vegetables you want to this: mushrooms, potatoes, corn etc.) (I can't remember exactly which herbs and spices I use in addition to these, I adjust my recipes every time I make a dish and I'm bad about writing it down. Garlic powder, fennel seed, thyme, onion powder are a few that I know I like in this pie.) (Also, I make way more than this so I can freeze some as well) I would at least double the sauce recipe.
Boil or steam veggies for a bit to soften them a little (10 minutes or so depending on how soft you like them, they will soften more as it bakes).
In a saucepan over medium cook onion in butter until translucent. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and celery seed. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
Divide chicken and vegetables up among prepared pie crust lined dishes and pour liquid over the top. Cover with crust, seal the edges, cut away excess crust and cut small vents in the top for steam to escape.
Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the pastry is golden.
The pastry I use for this Pot Pie:
For one pie:
2 Cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
2/3 cup shortening
6 tablespoons ice cold water
Mix flour and salt in large bowl. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until completely blended and appears crumbly.
Mix in water one tb at time, toss with a fork as you add it. When mixture forms a ball stop adding water. Add more if 6 tb doesn't get you there. Don't add too much though. Divide dough into two balls. Roll each out until it's larger than the pie dish. Use whatever method is easiest for you to place one in the pie dish, add filling then cover with other half of dough.
Tuesday, September 5, 2017
Very Berry Vanilla Cake Trifle
Prep time: 15 min | Cook time: 30 min | Total time: 45 min
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 6 cups sweetened whipped cream
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3.4 ounce box vanilla pudding mix
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and spray two 8-inch cake pans generously with cooking spray.
- Wash and dry strawberries, raspberries and blueberries then place into separate bowls. Place whipped cream into a large bowl and set aside.
- Place cake mix, eggs, milk, oil, sour cream and vanilla pudding mix into a large mixing bowl. Stir slowly to combine, then vigorously until batter is well combined. Transfer evenly to prepared cake pans and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until baked through. Remove and let cool completely.
- Flip cakes over onto parchment paper and cut into 1-1 1/2 inch cubes. Place a layer of cake cubes into a trifle bowl then top with a thick layer of whipped cream. Arrange a layer of strawberries, blueberries and raspberries over cream. Repeat another layer of cake, whipped cream and berries filling to the top of your trifle bowl. Place Trifle into refrigerator to chill until ready to serve.
Saturday, September 2, 2017
Sunday, August 27, 2017
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 gallon water
- 6 carrots (1/4 Sliced)
- 6 celery ribs (1/4 Sliced)
- 1 onion (Chopped)
- 4 tablespoons garlic (Minced)
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro (Chopped)
- 1 (12 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes (Mild)
- 1⁄2 pint heavy whipping cream
- 0.5 (14 ounce) can corn (Or Fresh)
- 20 corn tortillas, fresh
- 12 ounces monterey jack cheese (Fancy)
Thursday, August 17, 2017
- In a medium sized pot, rinse the jasmine rice several times until the water runs clear. Drain any excess water and add the coconut milk, water, salt and sugar.
- On high heat, allow the mixture to boil. Once it starts to boil, turn the heat down to low and cook covered for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and continue to cook for 5 minutes. Fluff and serve. Garnish with some chopped cilantro.
Honey Soy Shrimp
- ⅓ cup honey
- ¼ cupTamari sauce
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 lb medium uncooked shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- optional: chopped green onion for garnish and sesame seeds
- Whisk the honey, soy sauce and garlic in a medium bowl.
- Place shrimp in a large zipped-top bag.
- Pour ½ of the marinade on top.
- Marinate 15 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a wok over medium-high heat.
- Add shrimp and discard marinade.
- Cook until no longer pink-- about 45 seconds-- then flip shrimp over.
- Pour in rest of marinade and cook until shrimp cooked through.
- Top with scallions and sesame seeds.